Camping and hiking in the Budawangs is not for the feint hearted.
This three day adventure will take you deep into the Australian wilderness. The walk is challenging but the scenery is definitely worth the effort.
The Budawangs are located between Canberra and the beautiful Sapphire Coast of NSW and are virtually untouched. They can only be accessed by foot. The terrain is rough so very few people have the opportunity to see the spectacular landscape.
We leave early because the first day of the walk entails a number of hours hiking into dense forests.
We also allow extra time due to the difficulty of the walk. Our main focus is to get to the Cooyoyo camping grounds by mid afternoon. The campgrounds are beautifully set near the edge of a 100m cliff. The views from the cliffs are stunning. The afternoon is then spent relaxing and preparing for the next day.
The second day you enjoy a hot breakfast before heading into the Monolith Valley. Monolith Valley boasts some of the most dramatic scenery in the Budawangs. Natural formations such as the Shrouded Gods Mountain and Green Room greet you as you enter the Valley. There is much to explore and many photo opportunities in the Valley before heading back to camp.
Enjoy a brief lunch and then it’s off to climb the Castle. This an icon in the region with its imposing presence over the landscape. There is some basic climbing involved and a rope is supplied if needed to assist in the ascent.
The view from the Castle plateau are among the best in the Budawangs.
Finally we head back to camp to unwind for the evening. The next morning we pack the gear and prepare for the hike back to the car-park to head home.
Adventurers are exhausted by this point, so the drive home is spent relaxing and talking about the camping adventure.
Some information about the Budawangs adventure:
- The Camping and Hiking Adventure is rated as ‘Hard’. It includes carrying a full pack the first and last day; a number of steep ascents and scrambling; and in some cases navigating without a track. It is important that our adventurers understand that a good level of fitness is required to successfully complete the walk.
- It is important to pack warm clothes and good quality walking shoes or boots. We provide the camping gear including the tents, sleeping bags with liners, and self-inflating sleeping mats. In addition, we provide a free walking kit including a light poncho for the rain, a highly absorbent microfibre hiking towel, spork (combination fork and spoon), wide brim hat, collapsible water bottle and a head torch. Adventurers keep the walking kit for themselves to use on the rest of their adventures in Australia (and of course to remind them of their best time in Australia).
- Hiking food must be light so high quality freeze dried food is provided. There is also some trail mix available and water is sourced from the creeks and rivers along the way. All water is treated before consumption.
- There is a lot of driving time to get to and from the Budawangs so we endeavour to take frequent stops to ensure the comfort of our adventurers.
- The walk in and terrain is difficult enough in good weather so the adventure will be postponed in the event of bad weather. Allow a few days either side of the trip to avoid disappointment.
If the hike seems a little too challenging, try our National Parks Adventure Tour. The walking is easy to moderate and without heavy backpacks. The final day includes a walk up Pigeon House which provides an opportunity to enjoy some of the Budawangs magical scenery.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Dickson Central|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Please arrive at least 45 minutes before departure.|
Terms and conditions
It is important to read and understand the terms and conditions before booking the Camping and Hiking Adventure.
Breakfast in Dickson
6:00am – 6:30am
Travel to the Long Gully camping area
6:30am – 10:30am
Kit up and head off to Cooyoyo camping area
10:30am – 3:30pm
Set up camp, make a fire and prepare dinner
3:30pm – late
Breakfast then spend the day exploring Monolith Valley
6:00am – 12:00pm
Back to camp for lunch
12:00pm – 1:00pm
Set out to explore the Castle
1:00pm – 5:00pm
Back to camp for dinner and relax
5:00pm – late
Enjoy sunrise over the mountains then breakfast and pack up camp
6:00am – 8:00am
Hike back to Long Gully Camping area
8:00am – 1:30pm
Lunch then set off back to Dickson
1:30pm – 5:30pm